Tuesday, September 18, 2012

re-tired: outfitted with new tires

In the well-written and informative announcement by Anamchara Books of their publication of my forthcoming book, Zen Baptist, it is said that I am a psychologist (retired). While I understand what is meant by that (I no longer schedule individuals for sessions nor submit insurance claims nor pay dues to the local or national association), I am far from retired as a psychologist.

A psychologist studies and works with the dynamics of the psyche, of the soul. As such I am a socio-cosmo-psychologist, engaged in understanding the interplay of the dynamic spheres of the individual (both intra and extra), society, and the cosmos. Such actively engaged study transcends cultural, religious, political and all other thought community bounds. Yet it is a "boots on the ground" approach.

Each individual is regarded as a sphere of influential energy affecting all other spheres. World views are seen as enhancing or restricting the quality and volume of energetic flow. Transformation of individual consciousness is produced by application of specific practices and principles of the martial arts, contemplative arts, and other consciousness disciplines. Attention is a major tool of transformation and increasing Awareness is the continuous result.

As a cosmo-socio-psychologist, I am not just a studier of these realms, some intellectual egghead in an ivory tower. I am a practitioner (applying these methods to my own consciousness realm) and a teacher of these methods and practices to others. I would say I am very much an unretired psychologist.

3 comments:

  1. George, I see at Anamchara Books your Zen Babtist title is different than the original. will this be a new series of sermons and sutras?? or the same Zen Babtist that you published earlier with new distribution?? And I hope that will be your new commentary on the Gospel of Thomas that they are referring to..
    Thanks and congrats on your new publishing venture ,Harlan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harlan,Anamchara is arranging my Zen Baptist writings into "sermons" (more lengthy writings) and "sutras" (briefer writings). The book will be a representation of many of my previous Zen Baptist writings plus some new ones. Thanks for the congrats. This is kind of fun!Blessings to you, Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey George--

    Now WHERE did I get that "retired" from? I apologize humbly, and we will make corrections to the bio we posted! We gladly stand corrected.

    Ellyn Sanna
    Anamchara Books

    ReplyDelete