Wednesday, September 5, 2012

an uncivil war

A religion is a world view which has swallowed the heads of its members. A political party is a world view which has swallowed the heads of its members. This is more readily seen in an opposing political party or in someone else's religion. In both instances, the members of the "other" groups are viewed as benighted souls wallowing in ignorance and needing salvation. But...! you say, that's not true for my religion, my political party! We have the truth and wrapped in our religio-political flag, we march on to the world's salvation. If it were not for those others, we could more readily do so! That is exactly what the "others" are saying. My point is this: a political party is a religious structure, a religion is a political structure. Both swear allegiance to a world view and look for its dominance on earth. Whose religion is the "right" religion? "Mine!" you say. Otherwise you would be a hypocrite. And this is where we are stuck. We are in the midst of an uncivil war, each group proclaiming its own righteousness and looking to inflict its views on the rest of us, views backed by law and law enforcement. Each is looking to be the Supreme Church. I think we have been here before.

3 comments:

  1. Note: I use the term "religion" to denote the hardening of a spiritual path into a concrete form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think. Jamie Mauldin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my question, George, is: Have we ever NOT been here? I can point to any epoch and see the same thing, leading to war, genocide, and persecution. I've been unable to find any sustained period of peace and harmony. I think this is simply our earthly condition, uninterrupted. We've always been here.

    ReplyDelete