Sunday, June 12, 2011

a whup-ass loving heart

I like it that Jesus could whup anybody's ass but generally chose not to, becoming a servant instead. He could stand up on his hind legs though, go toe to toe with cunning intellectual bozos looking to make him stumble and fall. Jesus knew the spiritual equivalent of a body slam.

So you have this warrior dude who chose peace.

We have the same elements within us. We can easily be at war with ourselves, at war with our loved ones, at war with society. But that's sooo one-sided. We can also be peaceniks with fluttering hearts and little angel wings and tire tracks across our face where others (with our blessings)run over us. But that's sooo one-sided.

A flaming sword of fiery light at the core of a wide open heart: that's how I experience Jesus. No mild-mannered lamb led to slaughter. A loving heart with fierceness of intent. My role model.

My prayer and my practice are the same:
to be a whup-ass loving heart.

3 comments:

  1. The first book of whup-ass in a letter from george to the curmudgeons.
    this is lovely.
    happy son-day.
    b.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks b! your biblical reference in your first line brings on a giggle

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cracked me up too. I could not help but hear the parish priest saying b's words from the pulpit.

    thank you both for the great start to my day!

    ReplyDelete