Sunday, September 19, 2010

bear with me

"Bear ye one another's burdens" -- Galatians 6:2

What the heck does that mean? On the physical plane it's simple enough. I help carry that stuff you are lugging around. What does it mean in the mental, interpersonal, and energetic realms? It means I lay aside my blabber and listen to your words, a trail of small packets conveying your anxiety, your fear, your anger. I for a short while become you. I take on your burden, your existential trembling under the weight of whatever oppresses you. I truly under stand, stand under the burden that we share.

2 comments:

  1. Sharing one's burden will help temporarily, but the underlying issue is still there, a mind that will not surrender to what is.

    Matthew 11:28-30

    28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a line in the movie "Pulp Fiction" that caught me off guard when I first heard it. "Do you listen, or do you wait to talk?" was a question one character poses to another. As someone who loves to talk, it was a humbling reflection of myself. It made me realize the need for improving my listening skills.

    One thing I have learned over the years is that listening is an invaluable trait for healers to have. To whatever degree, I believe we are all called to be healers. I guess all we need to do to hear the call is listen.

    ReplyDelete