Saturday, April 27, 2013

christ-directed buddhism

This imagery, a painting (Christ Our Pilot) by Warner Sallman, had powerful effect on me as a boy and young man. I looked at it from time to time, feeling its power and directive. Only in looking back decades later could I see its deep message: I was to head for the shores and seas of Buddhism. As the young man in the painting, I would eventually firmly grasp the eight-spoked Buddhist Wheel of Life with its strong core and center. This would be done under the direction of Christ my pilot. I was on my way to becoming a Zen Baptist and did not know it.

How interesting too that the Wheel became the symbol I used in my first book, Embodying Spirit: The Inner Work of the Warrior, for framing the eight principles and practices for applying the martial arts to daily life (nine, including the Wheel center). I did that unconsciously with understanding coming later.

I am so grateful for the Mystery that unfolds within us.

4 comments:

  1. i call it connecting the dots. . .
    this is wonderful.
    thanks for sharing, geo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story. Thank you, George.
    I too am grateful for the Mystery that unfolds us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinetic watches are considered as great investment and energy-saving gadgets, but the solar-powered models can easily
    compete with them. They choose brand name designer watches
    that double as status symbols. Keeping up with the demands of the individuals and the pace of the rapidly developing industry, the watch manufacturing brands
    like the Obaku are coming up with brilliant options that combine simplicity, shape and texture.


    My site; tag heuer

    ReplyDelete