Sunday, March 28, 2010

the state of whoa

Okay, I'm going to try to get us out of here early today. I know some of you want to drive up to Atlanta to hear the Jubilee Singers Of The Dancing Holy Spirit. That reminds me, I want to preach some Sunday soon on King David dancing in the streets. Now there's a story!

Turn in your Bibles to Isaiah 6:5. Will someone stand up and read that?

"Woe is me! for I am undone."

Thank you, Brother Endelrod.

Have you ever had everything put together nicely, running along so smoothly, everything just humming, and then, blam!, it all falls or flies apart, blown into smithereens, and you are left sitting in the ashes of the aftermath, wondering what the hell and why in heaven's name? Congratulations, you have just become undone.

"The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley," said Mister Burns, in his To A Mouse. He captures the undone feeling well in his opening lines: "Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie."

Being undone is a state we hate. And even though we don't want to hear it, it is a state to be valued.

"Yeah, yeah," you might say, "you preachers are always putting a positive spin on things. If you stepped in dog poop, you'd praise God for reminding you to watch your step! We Americans worship progress, no offense intended, preacher. And having things fall apart, being undone as you say, is not progress."

Well, I beg to differ. Life goes on in a certain rhythm. For things to fall together, they have to fall apart.

Sometimes we need some woe, some whoa! We start galloping away in enthusiastic disregard for anything but our own singular vision of What Should Be. As a result, as someone has said, we should all over ourselves. A woeful state, any way you look at it.

When we get that way, the universe in its wonderfulness allows us to become undone. A fresh start opens.

We may sit for a while in our ashes and scrape our wounds with pot shards (like Job), but if we have any grit at all, we eventually get up and go on, totally undone.

Some of my Zen friends say that emptiness is a highly creative place to be. The ancient Chinese referred to this zone of emptiness out of which all arises as wu or wu chi. The Japanese call it ku. Combining the two, I call it wu chi ku. When we are in the undone place, we can dance the wu chi ku.

Wups! Looks like I am headed toward the King David sermon!

Please stand up and we will sing the song of the undone: Just As I Am, Without One Plea. Just the first and last verse and then you are outta here!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Brother Wu CHI KU...
    Standin by for the King David Dance Hour.
    George, you would love it down here, I am a Satellite enthusiast, I dinker with big motorized dishes robbing live and original feeds from all over the world, kind of like the old radio club days only video, and deciphering etc. etc. fun stuff...There are a million "religious" networks I delete most all of them.. One of them I will keep, it's a channel called "Pastor Scott" SHE is a kick ass southern redneck chick, and she rants on most of the day, then everyday they repeat a program by this guy, I don't know his name yet, I tune in for laughs mostly...He is a southern redneck..(a lot like you) only he is very unkept and unshaven and he reads and translates lines from the HOLYBIBLE every day... These guys have a very rare vision of what's up I believe...What's cool is he's sitting in this comfortable recliner chair, and the camera is focused mainly from the middle of his chest up and he smokes these big ugly cigars...he's continuously lighting those buggers while he "interprets" the bible... Man, I think it's great that he is doing his thing for humanity, etc. etc. but I am really sorry for the people who actually take this stuff to heart, as his translations are very literal, you know the dance, but he has no real understanding of the English Language, and then after translations etc.. my oh my.. these poor folks are getting fed a pretty good pile of goo.... No wonder the place is such a mess.... Meanwhile, I like your Geezer George version of the good book, and thanks to you for the first time in my life, I am actually starting to like to read about this book... Thanks George!! HB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George,

    I am reminded of the words of Pema Chodron -- (Paraphrasing here...) We are never more alive than at that moment when the rug is pulled from under our feet, and in that instant, tumbling through the air, we know nothing of what is about to take place.

    We are most alive in that moment because we have dropped the pretense that we know what is going to happen next. We are open.

    Thanks for another great posting by which to awaken! I am off to dance the Wu Chi Ku!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about all the Stereotyping above, but I've been gone a long time and don't have a handle on political correctness. I should delete the post, but the point I was getting at is that George's easy to read translations actually give one true food for thought as opposed to the "run and hide from the Hand of the big Cahoona" approach that are out there...
    that's all, I'll be careful in anything I say from now on..HB
    I'm dancing the wu CHi Ku as we speak..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harlan, I think your words are perfectly appropriate and welcome your continuing free presentation of your thoughts. Speak your mind, brother! Always love to hear from you and what's going on in your head. Wu chi ku on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick, that Pema is a puma! I like her writings. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wanted to let you know how timely this post was
    the day i read it, i was prepaired to hand in a giant art piece
    we went to test it's weight and had a massive glue failure
    half of our work clattered to the ground
    it was nice to have your post in mind as we took a deep breath
    and moved to plan b - staples!
    all is well now and we're set for the opening this saturday
    come see the recycled art show at the coconino center for the arts
    and see "beware the bunny fog" and it's educational bottle caps
    (that's what came undone)
    april 3rd 6-9pm
    thanks once again, George!
    ~apl

    ReplyDelete